Monday, January 16, 2012

Whew! That Was Exhausting!

The first week kicked my butt.

There I said it.

Of course the timing of beginning to homeschool could not have been worse. You see, I'm a bookkeeper. Yes, I work from home so there is some flexibility, but the work still needs to get done. And January is the month bookkeepers dread. We have to create reports for not only the fourth quarter, but also the year. Then we must produce many forms the IRS requires of businesses including payroll, sales tax, W4's and 1099's. It's always crazy in January and this year I threw a side of homeschooling on my already heaping plate full of crazy.

Even with the difficult circumstance I can say that I really have enjoyed homeschooling. I love knowing exactly what my child is learning. I'm in tune with his lessons and what he's accomplished. That was a major obstacle in public school. It was hard to get information on his assignments. Now that I'm the one assigning the work, I know.

For his part he says he loving homeschooling. He likes that he can double up on an assignment and then take time off when we have an opportunity to school out in the world (field trip, lessons on laptops at a coffee shop). He likes our new routine of eating lunch while watching "Gilmore Girls". I like that we are creating traditions.

There are some things that bug me, but that's a story for another time.

No comments: