Thursday, January 12, 2012

Meeting & Mixing, Homeschool Clubs

We attended our first chess club meeting this week. Wow. Getting started was a little crazy because it was the first day back after the holidays and because they were trying a new pairing process. I'm sure the other reason was because there were parents who withdrew their kids over the break and are seeing if the chess club is a good fit. At least that's why we showed up to play.

Both J and I were overwhelmed. There were at least 25 tables with 2 pairings of players at each table (4 kids). While not every table was full there we a LOT of homeschooled kids in that room. It's hard to believe how many people are choosing this path. Close to 100 students were playing chess and even more were on the playground, reading or working on other projects. I was able to connect with a few other moms to talk about possibly creating a co-op or park day type of thing in our area for our kids (all of us had 10-13 year old boys).

I was overwhelmed at the first meeting, but I think both J and I will do much better the next time knowing what to expect. Anything new is hard to assimilate. Knowing that is one of the reasons I'm only introducing a task, activity or process at a time to our routine.

Mama P.

No comments: