Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Bite of the Elephant At A Time

My plan is to introduce another layer of homeschooling each week. The first week it was the core curriculum process. Last week we blended in electives - violin, P.E. and chess club. This week we will start our journal writing.

We've set up an online journal for J to write daily. Back in the day I used a spiral for a similar journaling activity. While he was in a bricks & mortar (b&m) school he used composition notebooks. Something I've decided to modify in our homeschool is that J can type his journal writing. He's been tested for dysgraphia and I was told that he doesn't have it, but I wonder. His writing hand doesn't seem to receive the message his brain is sending. When I ask him questions to test his comprehension, J is able to articulate the answer. What comes out handwritten on the page is not representative of his best work.

I have spent the last week collecting journal prompts, and until he he feels comfortable picking his own topics, I'll will e-mail his subject each day. Okay, I cheated a little and set up a week of scheduled messages to go out one each day. Technology in the (home)classroom, baby. At the moment my goal is for him to exercise the brain "muscle" that gets the thought out of his mind into the written word. He has to write for 15 minutes. He doesn't have have to stay on topic, but he has to write something. Copy a poem, make a list, tell the chicken a story, it doesn't matter as long as he is writing.

If you have an idea for teenage journal prompts, please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

Mama P.

No comments: