Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Field Trippin'

Today we went on our first homeschool field trip. The Long Center hosted the Architects of Air exhibit this week and I took both my boys to see it.

Wow. I didn't really know what to expect, but from the pictures it looked like a series of bouncy houses and that can't be bad.


Outside was a sight to behold, but inside blew me away. Inside are these rooms of color and design. It's meant for meditation and reflection (yeah, I know that sounds very woo-woo). The plastic that shapes the exhibit is .5 mm thick so everyone has to be very careful. We had to remove our shoes and thank goodness I remembered to bring warm wool socks. Some participants had only shoes sans socks, and although it was a lovely sunny day in downtown Austin, it was quite chilly. 

Back to the Architects of Air though.

Inside the dome the light came through the plastic in streams provided by the sun. So we learned a little about solar light.  We were so impressed with the the color and design. I think the boys made a connection about how art and science can work together. They still think in a very compartmentalized way as though if you like art you can't also be interested in science.

J looking like a Superhero.
See those lines are lit by the sun. We're in the red dome, but in other pictures the colors don't come out in photos the same as in real life, which is part why it's so interesting.



I took Z out of school to go on the field trip. That must be why he looks a little green, sick donchaknow. Actually I love this picture. It's on my phone's wallpaper now.


So that's our first official homeschool adventure. I can't wait to see where else this road leads us.

--

No comments: