Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Texas History

In 7th grade and a bit in 4th grade students in public school are required to take a Texas History unit. People who aren't from Texas think it's crazy that we give that much time to particular area of study. To them we say, "I know you are, but what am I?"


Mature. I know.


The State says we have to have citizenship as a part of our homeschooling program. Other than that the State of Texas pretty much stays out of our home education business. And we like it that way. So as much as I'm all about doing my own homeschooling thing, I really love Texas History, Geography, Cultures and, well ALL things Texas. So while I'm not devoting a whole year to the subject I do plan on interjecting as much Texas studies into our curriculum as possible. There is not box curriculum for this so we're working off units and basically taking advantage of living in the great state of Texas to learn.


Tonight we watched Texas, The Big Picture, the IMAX movie that was shown at the Bob Bullock Museum when it first opened. The movie was probably way more spectacular on the big IMAX screen, but it didn't exactly bite at home. The imagery was amazing. The narrative helped them to make connections about places we've been and where they fit. Watching the movie brought up several questions that gave us ideas of what other units of Texas to study. I love questions in my class because it means they're paying attention to the material.


Yee Haw.

No comments: