Monday, March 19, 2012

Miniature Greenhouse

Spring has sprung!

Well, okay we didn't really get a winter here in Texas. At all. Usually we get at least 1 day of "Deep Freeze 2012" or some other equally apocalyptic title assigned by the media. We Texans can stretch this one cold day out for a weeks worth of news. How we'll prepare for it (buy all the canned goods and bottled water on store shelves), the actual day when the meteorologists give a play by play of the storm's path and the wrecks on the ice-covered roads.  Then the news follow up of insurance claims from the fools that actually took to the road (we Texans do NOT know how to drive in inclement weather and should not even attempt it). 

But I digress...my point was Spring is here!

This year we are going to further our urban homesteading by planting a garden. They boys and I picked out seeds and, given our lack of experience, purchased a mini greenhouse. Just to be safe we also bough a few plants in case our seeds don't sprout. 

My suburban farmers
We have seeds for serrano peppers, tomatoes (forgot which kind) and cilantro. I plan on giving away some of the cilantro to one of my girlfriends whose husband wants to start a garden too.

Do your seed thing!
We still have some space for more tomatoes since the package with all of 10 seeds. I think it will be fine to stagger out the seed production so that we'll have a tomato harvest throughout the summer. We'll have a container garden this year. I wanted to have a stair-step raised garden bed made, but time got away from me. Again.

This year Tracy is excited because it means we can swap herbs, plants and veggies for our life selectively off the grid. I can't wait for our monthly Hippie Moms lunch to share what we've grown, made or created!


No comments: