Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Civil Rights and Frugality Lesson

Today was "training day" at the new Alamo Drafthouse. Training day is sort of a soft opening for an establishment. The staff gets an opportunity to work out the kinks in their system with real patrons and we get to see and movie and eat cheap. 


Awesome.


Part of the reason we were able to take advantage of this opportunity is because we homeschool. The training day movie was shown on a Tuesday at noon. If we were in public school, despite what I believe to be a legitimate learning occasion, this would not qualify as reason to be out of the building. Shame that.


So there we are at noon on a Tuesday at a movie theater. I paid $2 each for the boys and I to see a first run movie and the food was half price. Order what you want boys, spare no expense (that doesn't exceed a $40 total bill). They certainly did. We had burgers, chicken tenders and I went with the chicken sandwich with chipolte mayo. Delicious. They serve Coke Zero and not just Diet Coke so I'm in love. My bill was $22 for all three of us eat. Now that is a lesson in thriftiness.


Since as homeschoolers we are looking for lessons everywhere, in everything we do I had to make the movie a learning experience. Civil rights lesson anyone? We had read about segregation in the South and we've heard Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech, but I thought the story The Help told would allow the boys to understand the issues of the time in a less abstract way. And it did. When you put a human face on a history lesson it resonates in a way that a textbook cannot.

No comments: